Illusioneer Update and a Bonus Short Story

Good morning Dear Reader, There's been a lot happening over the past few weeks. First, an update on 'The Illusioneer & Other Tales', then a link to a bonus (so far unpublished) short story of mine. The manuscript for Viola's last set of adventures, The Illusioneer & Other Tales, is completed and edited. The galley was proofread by my busy elves. Now the final page count was finalised, I could format the cover spread. Both were sent to the printer and I'm waiting for a proof copy before I can order the first box. The Illusioneer's ISBN has been allocated and it's now listed on the National Library database (Trove/CiP). This is what it will look like on your shelf with the others <shameless plug>.

But there's more:

a bonus excerpt - the first chapter of my next steampunk adventure series, 'The Department of Curiosities' - with new characters and a new look. (The story starts in 1883 and is set in the same alternative world as 'The Adventures of Viola Stewart'.) I bought a new ring to mark the end of my first steampunk mystery series - one stone for each book.

This month's Bonus:

Penny, from The Adventures of Messrs Smith and Skarry, asked me for a short story. It will feature on her blog this week.

You can read Waking  HERE.

Photos and short story ©2017 Karen J Carlisle. All rights reserved.

Photo Friday: Costume Diary: From Oz

It's August, and time for the annual Australian Costumers' Guild Costume Ball.  on the weekend. This year's costume had a convoluted evolution. I wanted to try my hand at making a foam 'metal plated' top for some time now; when I was invited to do a talk on steampunk at the recent Terry Pratchett convention, I decided to feed on that desire and twist it. Hence my steampunk witches hat was made. I love this hat. And so do others, it seems. I received dozens of positive comments and even had offers to purchase it. The Ball weekend was looming and I didn't have an abundance of sewing time (I'm in the middle of a writing marathon). I decided to make use of my new hat - and the idea for a steampunk Wicked Witch of the West from The Wizard of Oz. I had an idea: I'd steampunk up a vacuum cleaner in place of a broom. I scoured opshops - but there's never an item when you really want it. Would Ms West make it to the ball? Finally, only a few weeks before the ball, a friend (thank you Veronica) found a steam cleaner (it was meant to be!) It was pulled apart and gutted, then sanded and spray painted (we just had enough of the gold left. phew). I used rub and buff to add some wear and tear, glued on some bits and piping and added a compass (to face West of course). A 'tesla tube' light was made using a cheap plastic test tube, LED and wires. MINI-COSTUME PICTURE DIARY:

  

    

And how could I go without a flying monkey? I made some mini goggles, a matching metal-plated fezz and steampunk wings.

 

And meet Hamish: With all the accessories finished, I decided on an all black outfit to highlight them. I wore a black top, skirt (made for previous costume) and new under bust corset - and some green and black striped socks to add a hint of green in lieu of green makeup.  Vintage motorcycle gloves doubled as flying gloves. And here is my final outfit: my steampunk Wicked Witch of the West (and found out the day before was the 78th anniversary of the movie - woah! Perfect timing.) Thanks to Steamkittens this photo from the Ball.

Photos ©2017 Karen Carlisle. All rights reserved. Portrait ©2017 Steamkittens.

Photo Friday: A New Steampunk Hat for Nullus Anxietas

This weekend is Nullus Anxietas VI - an Australian Discworld convention. This is my second (third if you count the Unseen University Convivium held here a few years ago). I love these conventions. They remind me of the old fan cons. It's all about chatting, debating, having fun and - for me - the costumes! This week's Photo Friday is a pictorial costume diary. I made a paper pattern. Cut out the foam and glued with hot glue (had to thin out the tip to get a point).

  

Started gluing on thin foam bits to simulate riveted panels.

  

Of course, no costume is real unless there's blood - or in this case - hot glue burns...

I used Araldyte to make lots of studs. Lots and lots of them... Then I painted it black. Then used Rub'n'Buff to glam it up. And here is the final hat: a steampunked witch's hat to wear on the steampunk panel (and there are other plans for it as well.)

Here's the video costume diary.

[embed]https://youtu.be/URf1TLrWoYY[/embed] I'm also doing a writing workshop - Write your own Discworld story. Come say hello if you are attending. I'll be posting more photos to twitter and Facebook over the weekend, so watch out for them.

Photos and Video ©2017 Karen Carlisle. All rights reserved.