Bookweek is looming. This year the senior class have decided to all dress to a theme: Disney. Life would have been much easier if they had chosen Pirates or Space or even History; our daughter has costumes (that fit) for all of these. But no, the voted for Disney.
Life would have also been much easier if our daughter had chosen one of several female Disney characters that I originally suggested but the reply to most of the ones I suggested was ‘no’. From the beginning, the choice had to be based on two things: 1. quick to make and 2. with materials we already have in the cupboard. In the end we pulled out most of the cupboards contents, searched online and finally came to an agreement: Briar Rose.
The patterns were quite easily made. The skirt was straight forward and could be worn over one of my tie-on white petticoats to give more body to it. It was sewn up Saturday morning.
I used a Simplicity pattern to start my bodice pattern (2843- a Historical/Pioneer outfit) as my daughter will not sit still long enough for me to make a toile. I removed the straps and will hopefully get her to stand still long enough to at least fit it so I can put some boning in..
I have the bare bones of my next short story which will most likely be a steampunk with vague SF crossover possibly hinting at supernatural/gaslamp. Sounds confusing? Yes, so far it does. I am letting things filter down through my subconscious now so I can figure out if the ending will resolve ‘happily’, ambiguously or in tragedy. Then again, I am also toying with leaving it up i the air, for the reader to decide…
Yes. I have been putting off on my rewrites and editing of The Soul Cafe. I did some weeding the the one of the vegetable plots (which is in a old metal bath tub), in the back yard. I replanted some lettuce seedlings and transplanted some kale seedlings, leaving a pot full of kale seedlings which still need to find a home.
After catching up on some television shows from earlier this week, I pulled out my story and promptly went into the front yard to do some more weeding; about two hours and forty minutes in total. Definitely got my vitamin D quota for the day.
I also managed some garden photography today. It was a beautiful sunny winter day; the first day in weeks it has not drizzled or rained. My creative muse is sated so I am calm.
The day is not a complete loss though. The short story is not due til next week and I did manage to get the initial read-through and rewrite done at the Writers’ Race this week. Another proof read now…
Yesterday was my second time attending the Writers’ Race, now held as a FB event by Australian Writer’s Marketplace Online. This week was hosted by Christina Brooke, a writer of Regency romances. Each week there is a different Race Captain – usually an author. It is a place to be encouraged to ‘do something’. You choose the task for the hour-long event. Some do research, some sketch out plots and some write part of their novel (or start a new one). The choice is yours.
My mission (which I chose to accept) was to re-read and re-write the introductory scene of a short story I started last week, entitled The Feline Principle. I have been in a bit of a funk and have not been able to write a segue scene. Part of my mission was to try to jump that hurdle and get on with the rest of the story.
Having like-minded and encouraging people online is actually a great help though there is the temptation to have a bit of a chat online instead of writing. However, in both ‘Races’ I have gleaned useful help and encouragement from these chats on the side. One of the conversations was directed to our resident-writer-for-the-night; does she organise and pre-plot her books or just write whatever comes to mind.Though another writer online plans everything and has done so for upcoming books in her series, our Race Captain admitted that she has only a rough outline and just writes… This was a welcome revelation to me!
Regular readers may remember a battle of words I had with a past short story that I tried to write by plotting everything ahead of actual writing, in Bogging up Holes and Pulling Teeth. I have vowed not to do this again! (I do have a rough outline of what I think may happen but am now resigned to, and accept, the fact all may not actually end up going to plan!)
Okay, I know that both free-writing and planned-writing are valid methods however it is a very different thing to hear a published author say it directly! It gives me permission to write the way I find most useful to me, without feeling the guilt of following my muse. I think this one thing spurred me on to tackle that hurdle and get the next part of my story done. Though I only achieved a few hundred new words, I did manage to rewrite and add a couple of paragraphs to what existed and write the beginnings of a new scene. I have set myself a goal of trying to write another 1000 words today…
Let us see if my imagination will play ball!